Actor Sam Neill has revealed that he is undergoing treatment for stage-three blood cancer in a memoir titled “Did I Ever Tell You This?” The Jurassic Park star candidly discusses his battle with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, his career in film and television, life on his New Zealand farm, and mortality. Despite undergoing chemotherapy, Neill kept himself busy by writing vignettes about his life, which ultimately turned into his memoir. Neill assures readers that the book is not a cancer memoir, but his illness serves as a “spiral thread” throughout the narrative.
Important Details about Sam Neill: Jurassic Park actor reveals he is being treated for stage-three blood cancer | Sam Neill –
– Sam Neill has revealed that he is being treated for stage-three blood cancer.
– He opened up about his diagnosis and treatment in his candid memoir, Did I Ever Tell You This?, which is set to be released on Tuesday.
– The Jurassic Park star discusses his career in film and television, the nature of celebrity, life on his New Zealand farm, and mortality in the book.
– Neill found himself with nothing to do amid his chemotherapy treatment and began writing vignettes from his life to keep busy and as a salve.
– In his book, he shares amusing anecdotes from film sets over the years and reveals himself to be an excellent raconteur.
– His illness forms a “spiral thread” throughout the narrative, but the book is not solely about his cancer diagnosis.
– Neill was diagnosed with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma last year, for which he received chemotherapy and a new chemotherapy drug that he will have to continue receiving monthly for the rest of his life.
– He is currently preparing to start filming the television adaptation of Liane Moriarty’s bestselling novel Apples Never Fall.
– Despite the dark moments over the past year, Neill is immensely grateful for every day and all his friends, saying, “Just pleased to be alive.”
Sam Neill Discloses His Battle with Blood Cancer in Candid Memoir
Veteran actor Sam Neill has revealed that he has been fighting blood cancer throughout the past year in a candid memoir to be released on March 22, 2023. In an interview with the Guardian, the 75-year-old Jurassic Park star shared his experiences with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, commonly known as blood cancer, and discussed the various aspects of his personal and professional life that shaped him into the person he is today.
As Neill explained in the interview, he began writing stories from his life as a way to occupy himself during chemotherapy treatment. “I found myself with nothing to do,” Neill said. “And I’m used to working. I love working. I love going to work. I love being with people every day and enjoying human company and friendship and all these things. And suddenly I was deprived of that. And I thought, ‘what am I going to do?’”
After a while, Neill added, writing became a kind of lifeline for him, giving him a reason to keep on going. “I never had any intention to write a book. But as I went on and kept writing, I realised it was actually sort of giving me a reason to live and I would go to bed thinking, ‘I’ll write about that tomorrow … that will entertain me.’ And so it was a lifesaver really, because I couldn’t have gone through that with nothing to do, you know.”
The resulting book, Did I Ever Tell You This?, is a collection of vignettes from Neill’s life, from his childhood in New Zealand and Ireland to his eclectic family life and his experiences on the sets of countless films and television shows. Despite describing the book as a narrative about his life in general, Neill acknowledges that his experience with cancer is a “spiral thread” that runs throughout each chapter.
Neill first experienced swollen glands in March 2022 during the publicity tour for Jurassic World Dominion. After being diagnosed with stage-three blood cancer, he received chemotherapy treatments that were eventually replaced with a newer chemotherapy drug that he will continue to take monthly for the rest of his life. Although he is now cancer-free, Neill has been struck with the sobering realization that he may experience a relapse at any moment.
The past year has been full of challenges and dark moments for him, Neill acknowledged, but these challenges have also helped him appreciate his life more fully. “Those dark moments throw the light into sharp relief, you know, and have made me grateful for every day and immensely grateful for all my friends. Just pleased to be alive,” he said.
Despite his ongoing battle with cancer, Neill has shown no signs of slowing down professionally. He is currently preparing to film the television adaptation of Liane Moriarty’s bestselling novel Apples Never Fall, which will be shot in Australia and will co-star Annette Bening.
Throughout his career, Neill has appeared in over 150 films and television shows, including My Brilliant Career, The Piano, and Peaky Blinders. His latest memoir, Did I Ever Tell You This?, is filled with witty and heartwarming anecdotes from his life on and off the set, and is sure to be a hit with fans of Neill’s iconic performances.
The news of Neill’s ongoing battle with blood cancer has been met with an outpouring of support from fans and colleagues alike. His candid memoir will undoubtedly help raise awareness of the disease and empower others who are fighting their own battles with cancer.