Actor Sam Neill, best known for his roles in “Jurassic Park,” “The Piano,” and “Peaky Blinders,” recently revealed that he battled Stage 3 blood cancer and has been in remission for eight months. In an Instagram video, the 75-year-old actor said he was “alive and kicking,” and also spoke about his upcoming memoir titled “Did I Ever Tell You This?” which mentions his diagnosis. Despite the media’s focus on his cancer, Neill said he wants people to focus on his work and projects, such as an upcoming television adaptation of Liane Moriarty’s novel “Apples Never Fall.”
Important Details about Sam Neill, 75, is being treated for Stage 3 blood cancer, lymphoma –
– Sam Neill, the actor known for his roles in “Jurassic Park,” “The Piano,” and “Peaky Blinders,” announced on social media that he is “alive and kicking” after news of his battle with Stage 3 blood cancer made global headlines.
– Neill, 75, said he has been in remission for eight months and is working on an upcoming television adaptation of Liane Moriarty’s novel “Apples Never Fall.”
– The news about his cancer emerged during publicity for his upcoming memoir titled “Did I Ever Tell You This?,” due to be released Tuesday, which mentions his diagnosis.
– Neill stated that he was very nervous as a first-time author but the book provided a project to work on while he underwent treatment last year.
– He described the tone of the book as one of “surprise” as he never expected to make a career of acting on screen.
– Neill was diagnosed with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, a rare type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma, and said he undertook chemotherapy and started a new chemotherapy drug, which he needs to take monthly for the rest of his life.
– The cancer can be more common in the elderly, and symptoms can include high fevers, skin rashes and autoimmune disorders, where the body’s immune system attacks its own cells and tissues.
– One relieved fan wrote in response to Neill’s video, “Not sure if it was the cancer news or when they mentioned you’re 75 that shocked me more.”
– The actor from Northern Ireland and New Zealand has also turned his hand in recent years to rearing animals on his New Zealand farm and is a vintner, as well as playing cricket and his ukulele, he says.
Sam Neill: Actor Battles Stage 3 Blood Cancer, but Doesn’t Want It to Define Him
Sam Neill, the actor known for his roles in “Jurassic Park” and “Peaky Blinders,” recently revealed that he has been battling Stage 3 blood cancer. Despite the news of his diagnosis making headlines, Neill does not want people to focus solely on his cancer. He posted a video on Instagram, reassuring his fans that he is “alive and well” and in remission for eight months.
In addition to his acting career, Neill has also written a memoir titled “Did I Ever Tell You This?” It mentions his diagnosis, revealing that he was nervous about writing as a first-time author. Nevertheless, he felt that he had no choice but to speed up the process of writing the book because of his condition.
Best known for his role as paleontologist Alan Grant in the “Jurassic Park” franchise, Neill revealed that he first noticed swollen glands while doing publicity for “Jurassic World: Dominion” in 2022. He was later diagnosed with angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma, a rare type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
Symptoms of angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma can include high fevers, skin rashes, and autoimmune disorders, where the body’s immune system attacks its own cells and tissues. Treatment can include a combination of chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and bone marrow or stem cell transplants.
Despite his cancer diagnosis, Neill remains upbeat and optimistic. Aside from acting, his interests include rearing animals on his New Zealand farm, playing cricket and his ukulele, and being a vintner. Speaking of his life, he said: “I am full of gratitude looking back on this life. Let’s not worry too much about ‘all that’ because I’m fine – okay!”
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at Sam Neill’s battle with cancer, how he’s coping with his diagnosis, and what we can learn from his experiences.
In 2022, Sam Neill noticed swollen glands in his neck while promoting the film “Jurassic World: Dominion.” He initially thought it was the result of travel or stress, but tests soon revealed that he had angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma.
Angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma is a rare type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that typically affects older adults. Symptoms can include high fevers, skin rashes, and autoimmune disorders. Treatment can include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and bone marrow or stem cell transplants.
To combat his cancer, Neill underwent chemotherapy and began taking a new chemotherapy drug, which he needs to take monthly for the rest of his life. His cancer journey has been challenging, but he remains optimistic and determined to stay on top of it.
Writing His Memoir
While undergoing treatment last year, Neill decided to write his memoir, “Did I Ever Tell You This?” The book details his life and career, from his childhood in Northern Ireland to his years as an actor in New Zealand and Hollywood.
In the opening chapters of the memoir, Neill mentions his cancer diagnosis. He writes, “The thing is, I’m crook. Possibly dying, I may have to speed this up.”
Writing the book provided Neill with a project to work on while undergoing cancer treatment. Although he was nervous about writing as a first-time author, he persevered and finished the book. His fans are eagerly awaiting its release on Tuesday, March 22, 2023.
Despite his cancer diagnosis, Sam Neill remains upbeat and positive. He reassured his fans that he is “alive and well” and has been in remission for eight months. He continues to work on his upcoming television adaptation of Liane Moriarty’s novel, “Apples Never Fall,” and is staying busy with his various hobbies and interests.
As Neill has shown, battling cancer is a difficult journey, but it’s important to stay positive and optimistic. Having a strong support system, pursuing hobbies and interests, and staying active can all help in coping with a cancer diagnosis.
Sam Neill’s battle with cancer serves as a reminder of the importance of staying positive and remaining active in the face of adversity. Although his cancer diagnosis was a tough blow to take, he has remained optimistic and focused on his work and hobbies. By following his example, cancer patients and their loved ones can stay hopeful and upbeat while coping with the challenges of cancer.