Former Detroit Lions running back Jamaal Williams made waves this offseason when he signed with the New Orleans Saints, citing a “disrespectful” contract offer from his former team. But Williams’ departure may have deeper implications for the Lions’ playoff hopes. After a surprising 8-2 finish to the 2022 season, the team was on the cusp of a wild-card berth, but with Williams gone, their prospects of making the postseason in 2023 seem bleak. Meanwhile, the Saints seem poised for success, with Williams joining a roster that includes standout wideouts and a solid quarterback. Williams will need to prove that his breakout season wasn’t a fluke if the Saints hope to clinch a playoff spot for the first time since Drew Brees’ retirement.
Important Details about Former Lions Player Says His Contract Offer Was ‘Disrespectful’ –
– Jamaal Williams had a breakout season with the Detroit Lions in 2022, putting up 1,066 yards and 17 touchdowns.
– Williams signed with the New Orleans Saints in the offseason.
– The Lions attempted to give Williams a new contract, but he felt the offer was disrespectful.
– The Lions exceeded expectations in the 2022 season, finishing 9-8-1 and almost claiming a wild-card playoff spot.
– With Williams gone, the Lions are not expected to make the playoffs in the upcoming season.
– The Saints have a strong team with Williams in the backfield, Chris Olave and Michael Thomas at wideout, and Derek Carr at quarterback.
– The Saints look well-positioned to finish first in the NFC South and make the playoffs for the first time since Drew Brees’ final season.
– Williams will need to prove that his 2022 performance was not a fluke for the Saints to succeed.
– A former NFL player recently suggested that his career was cut short by former Lions coach Matt Patricia.
New Orleans Saints Sign Jamaal Williams in the Offseason
In the 2022 season, Jamaal Williams had a breakout year with the Detroit Lions, putting up 1,066 yards and 17 touchdowns, which far surpassed his production in any of his previous seasons. However, he was a free agent this offseason and ended up signing with the New Orleans Saints, who are now looking like a legitimate playoff team, at least on paper.
Lions Attempt to Keep Williams
The Lions made an attempt to give Williams a new contract and keep him in town, but he said at a press conference that the offer they made him was “disrespectful” and that it made him feel like they didn’t want him to stick around.
Lions’ Chances to Make the Playoffs
Coming off a 3-13-1 finish in 2021, practically no one was expecting Detroit to do anything of note this past season. But after starting 1-6, it went 8-2 the rest of the way and came very close to claiming a wild-card playoff spot. Now with Williams gone, it looks like the Lions have little chance of making the playoffs for the first time since 2016.
Saints’ Chances to Make the Playoffs
Meanwhile, the Saints, who won seven games last season, now have Williams in the backfield, Chris Olave and Michael Thomas at wideout, and Derek Carr at quarterback. Even if running back Alvin Kamara has to miss action next year due to his pending battery charges, they look well-positioned to finish first in the NFC South and make the playoffs for the first time since Drew Brees’ final season. For that to happen, Williams will have to prove that his performance in 2022 wasn’t the least bit of a fluke.
Unfortunately, there is no conclusion to this brief blog post. However, the signing of Jamaal Williams by the New Orleans Saints is something to watch for in the upcoming NFL season, and there is certainly a lot of speculation around how it may affect the team’s chances of making the playoffs.